Sunday, June 7, 2009

Our first camping trip

The first weekend of May, the first year dental students went camping at Samuel P. Taylor park. This beautiful campsite is about 25 minutes from where we live.

For dinner we had the norm - hot dogs and of course, smores ...which I came to find out that I am not so pro at roasting marshmellows.

While we were sleeping we heard racoons outside our tent. I woke up Ryan and told him that they were getting into our bags. He sat up for a minute, then he laid back down to go to sleep. I reached over and gave him a little nudge and repeated to him about the racoons. He sat up again, alittle more alert and said, "Theres nothing I can about it.." then Ryan realized they were really loud and digging through our things... He started to put on his shoes to get ready to go out there and try to scare them away... As we unzipped our tent there was a HUGE racoon RIGHT in front of us. Ryan and I jumped back, it freaked us out! Ryan tried to "bark" at the racoon, hoping the noise would scare them but that failed. He just sounded weird doing it... Then, we realized we didnt have a flashlight - just a wind up one. So, there we were at 4:00am winding up our loud flashlight...it didn't even help with the racoons. Well, we just forgot about it and tried to go back to sleep. When we woke up and saw the damage which was done, it wasn't bad at all. They just ripped our oatmeal bags open.

K was such a trooper. She went to bed late, but that's okay! She was camping. She slept through out the whole night and woke up around 8:00!

We brought her little tent just because she said she wanted to sleep in it. I knew that she wouldn't want to when the time came and I don't think I would have wanted her to either.. Anyway, we set it up and all the little kids enjoyed playing in it.










No comments: