Monday, May 6, 2013

Emily Nicole

Emily Nicole
April 12th 
3:51 pm 
7lbs 2oz
19 in 


 We arrived at the hospital at 1:00 to get prepped for the c-section. It was scheduled for 3 pm. The two nurses, Tamara and Nikki who were helping us were great. Tamara was a hoot and was really fun. She was also LDS. As Tamara was getting ready to give me my IV, Ryan and I were telling her the awful experience I had when I was getting my IV with Kaitlyn. That made her really nervous, but she only grabbed one needle because she said she was confident that she would get it on the first try. Fail. She said she didn't want to try again so she asked Nikki to do it. She failed once and got it on her second try. After she had the IV set, she realized that they forgot to add an extender piece. She said that she blames Tamara.

I wasn't nervous for the c-section, I was nervous for the spinal tap. The anesthesiologist came in, who also happened to be LDS and explained everything that was going to happen and answered a few our questions.
We got into the OR and he proceed with the spinal tap. It felt like a bee sting for a few seconds and it was over. My body went numb where it was supposed to and my fingers got tingly. He said sometimes if the spinal goes to high it can hit those nerves up high like your arms and hands. I remember telling him I felt like I couldn't breathe, which is normal. You are breathing but it just feels like you aren't. It's a strange feeling. As the c-section got started the anesthesiologist was very helpful and supportive. He made sure I was comfortable and made sure if I had any questions that they were answered.

As the DR was pulling the baby's head out he was joking with Ryan - he said, "Ryan the head is your area, is it a boy or a girl?" it was funny and as the DR pulled the baby out he said to Ryan, "So, is it a boy or a girl?" and Ryan was the one who was able to say that it was a girl! I wasn't surprised that it was a girl - that was my guess all along. Then the anesthesiologist said, "Wow! look at those cheeks!" Those were the same words the nurses said when I had Sarah. I was thinking this baby was going to be chunky too. A few minutes later after the baby was weighed I found out she was only 7lbs. I was surprised how small she was. I was expecting her to be bigger since Kaitlyn and Sarah were both over 8lbs.
Ryan left with the baby as I was getting sewed up. We still weren't positive on a name yet. After I was sewed back up and getting wheeled into recovery that's when I started to feel really dizzy and the room started to spin. My arms and hands felt really heavy and I couldn't lift them. I felt nauseated and thought I was going to throw up. I really wanted to hold the baby, but couldn't. I believe while were in the recovery room that's when we decided her name would be Emily Nicole. Not sure if that was good timing or not. ;) After I spent a while in recovery they were ready to wheel me to my post-baby room. Apparently the mom has to hold the baby while getting wheeled to the room. I didn't want to since the condition I was in, but I did anyway. I got to my room and I started to feel really sick. I couldn't keep anything down (ice). I asked the anesthesiologist how long I would feel  numb/sick and he said 2-3 hours. After 3 hours had past, I still felt numb and sick. I asked one of the nurses if this was normal for patients to feel the way I did and she told me no. By Saturday I was starting to feel a little better, but my feet felt funny. They felt heavy and a little numb. By Sunday they were feeling a little better and my swelling had slowly gone down.

Friday evening Charlynn, James, Kaitlyn and Sarah came to visit me in the hospital. I was feeling really sick at the time, but they came and found out the gender of the baby. Kaitlyn was really excited and wanted to hold Emily and Sarah was really concerned seeing me in a hospital bed. All she really wanted was to run into the hall and see the fish tank.

Overall, my hospital stay was good. I had wonderful nurses. I sent the baby to the nursery every night - I took advantage that for sure!

Now that we've been home for almost a month, i'm still adjusting to three and working on that thing called sleep.

1 comment:

Christine said...

She's just precious! Congratulations guys!