Friday, November 2, 2012

Sunshine Bumble Bee's

This year Kaitlyn's team name was the Sunshine Bumble Bee's. They had 6 little girls on the team. They play 4 vs 4. Kaitlyn and two other girls have been playing together for 3 seasons now. The other three little girls haven't had much playing experience. 
This season I helped coach Kaitlyn's team a long with my friend Jenn. Jenn's daughter is Ellie. Ellie and Kaitlyn are still really close friends even though they do go to different schools now. It's hard coaching 6 yr old little girls, especially if one of them is your daughter. I think she felt like she didn't have to listen to me since I was her mom. I don't know. 
This season the girls did really well! At this age they don't keep score, but us competitive parents do. We won all our games, but one. (I think). One of the teams we played was amazing! They were scoring lots of goals on us, but our little firecracker on the team (Ellie) got right in the there and scored lots of goals and we caught up.  Kaitlyn scored some goals too!
Another team we played wasn't very good. Our team was just scoring goal after goal. Jenn and I didn't know what to do because we started to feel bad for the other team. During the last quarter of the game their coach came over and asked me if they could have all their players in the game and that they haven't even scored a goal all season. The girls weren't having fun playing and felt discouraged. That me sad. I told Jenn and we made a plan with our team. Our plan was at the next corner kick we had, the kicker would kick the ball to the middle and let other team get the ball and dribble it down to the goal and score. We told the girls to run next to her who had the ball or behind her but not to touch the ball. Our plan worked and that team scored their first goal. They were so excited and even the parents were thrilled. We had one parent come up to us with tears in her eyes thanking us for letting them get a goal.


(I am not sure why it is turned sideways. It's upright on my computer.)


1 comment:

Christine said...

what a great lesson in compassion for all the girls on your team.