Friday, April 1, 2011

New Month. New Goals.

It's a new month. It's a good time for me to get re-motivated. Starting January I was really good about exercising - running, elliptical, P90x... I wouldn't miss a day. I felt great and was seeing results. Then mid February I got sick. Excercising was put on a holt. I started to feel better for a couple weeks or so, but wasn't motivated to get back in my routine. I did run the GG Bridge one morning. I even stopped (to catch my breath) to ask some tourists if they wanted me to take there picture. That's about it. Then, I got really sick. We're talking about 2 weeks sick. My nose went through 6 rolls of toilet paper in 4 days. Poor nose. I couldn't taste for about a week. Sore throat. Fever. Cough. It was a-w-f-u-l! Mommy's aren't allowed to get sick. I was telling Ryan how unfair it was that when he's sick, he gets taken care of and gets to rest all day. Well, now that I'm somewhat healthy (still battling a sore throat now and again that doesn't want go away.) I have been having a battle with myself trying to get motivated again. Some friends are running a 10k on the 23rd of this month. I told them I would do it months ago, but I started to have 2nd thoughts about it. I had to sign myself up to motivate myself to run it, so I am. My original goal was to run the half - that plan failed. I'm totally okay doing the 10k. My goal before we move from the Bay area is to run another half. I'm running out of time! I need to get crackin', only 10 more weeks until graduation! (10 weeks! I can't believe it!) It's April 1st and I told myself it's a new month. It's time to make some goals. Ryan was home Friday morning so I took that opportunity to go for a run. It was tough! As I was running up a hill and this random guy ran right past me, he came out of no where. He was just prancing a long as I was about to fall over. Then a girl about my age came running right by me. She of course passed me as well. Then I thought, "well she just didn't have a baby." (or maybe she did, who knows? but sure didn't look like it.) Yes, I was comparing. Then I thought, "wait... I just didn't have a baby. It's been 10 months... I can't use that as an excuse anymore." I don't have any excuses. I pushed my body to the limits on that run. As I was running my legs felt like jello and I hurt. My legs were aching - I thought I pulled a muscle, I had shoulder cramps, and I was feeling dehydrated. I was thinking, "Why do I like running so much? It's hard." Then I started to think - that's why I like running. It pushes me to my limits. My body is hurting and telling me to stop, but my mind tells me I can finish what I started and even pushes me for a longer run. When I got home from my run (jog) I told Ryan I literally died. I used MapMyRun to see how far I went. It surprised me - 4.64 miles. After seeing what I accomplished and how good it made me feel, I thought, "And that's why I love to run!" Call me crazy, but I love running. Looking forward to getting back to it!

4 comments:

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

good for you!!! that is so great!

Joie said...

I know how you feel. Whenever I think about doing something hard and painful I avoid doing it, but when I push through the accomplishment is amazing! I love your internal dialogue as your are running..."she didn't just have a baby" so funny!

Christine said...

I think you are crazy (I don't like long distance running) :)
But I respect the drive and motivation it takes. Good for you!

spideybrian said...

LOVED this post!! Totally how I've been since having Kaebri...but I am signed up for the HALF marathon, mines May 7...I think I can, I think I can , I think I can...