Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Home of the All-Stars


This weekend we filled out Kaitlyn's Kindergarten registration forms and got her registered for school. I can't believe that my little girl will be going to Kindergarten. I get teary-eyed just thinking about it.
The year before I had Kaitlyn I worked in three different Kindergarten rooms. I worked both the AM and PM kids and observed a huge learning difference between the morning and afternoon children. The AM classes were more alert, willing to learn and overall in a better mood. The PM kids had a hard time concentrating and seemed to be really tired. I always told Ryan that I would never put Kaitlyn in a PM Kindergarten class and just my luck....
she's in a PM class - 12:30-3:15.
The AM class is full. I'm just crossing my fingers she will be okay and get used to it OR the teacher will realize Kaitlyn just isn't meant for the afternoon and will put her in AM.
Yeah, wishful thinking... She's 5th on the AM waiting list.

When I think about Kaitlyn going to Kindergarten and starting school, I start to worry that the peer pressure will start to set in. I worry about her learning not so nice things from the kids she will socialize with. I just have to remember that Ryan and I need to be consistent with teaching her the gospel, teaching her right from wrong, having our FHE's, and continue having family prayer and scripture reading.
I also think that she won't be spending every hour of everyday with me anymore. I think it will be a hard adjustment to go from spending everyday with my little girl to not having that anymore. Right now she does go to school 3 days a week, so I am getting used to not having her around for a few hours. But with Kaitlyn starting Elementary school, ELEMENTARY SCHOOL is just the beginning of Kaitlyn's school "career." It's hard for me to soak in. The years are going to go by fast.
I am excited for her. Kaitlyn has such a love for learning and asks me at least everyday to do "Kindergarten work" with her. I can't wait to see (well, I can...) how her Kindergarten year will turn out. It's going to be an exciting one.

2 comments:

Christine said...

That's how I feel. I worry about the peer pressure too and what things he will come home from school with. And he is going to ALL DAY kinder. Sigh. But he is SO excited to learn new things and I hope the teacher can keep that spark alive in him. Having been a teacher myself I know how important the parents are in education. You and Ryan will be fabulous at it.

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

oooh! how exciting! what a huge milestone! good luck kaitlyn! you will do great!!! C: