On Sunday we went to a friends birthday party and one of my fears came true. I told Kaitlyn we were going to a party and the first thing she asked was, "will there be cake?" That's basically the only thing she talked about and wanted. When they started to hand out cake, Kaitlyn patiently waited for her piece. She got her piece and took off with it. Then I got mine and I didn't have to taste it to know that there was peanut butter in it, I could smell it. Once I smelled the peanut butter I started to panic. I turned around to find Kaitlyn and Kaitlyn was already by me and she said, "this tastes like peanut butter." My first thought was, do I have my epipen? Yes. Then I asked Kaitlyn how much she ate. Apparently, she just had a couple of bites. She was so, so sad that she couldn't have any of the cake. We told her we owed her a chocolate cake. For the next 30 minutes she acted fine and we didn't see any reaction.
When we got home (about 45 minutes after she had eaten some of the cake) she was very itchy. We gave her some allergy medicine and a bath. She looked like she had a bad sunburn all over her body. I was in tears because I was scared. I didn't know how severe her reaction could get. My heart was breaking for her. This is something she is going to have to live with for the rest of her life and as a Mom, something for me to always worry about. Ryan gave her a blessing and after the blessing Kaitlyn said, "Does Mommy know you have special oil from Jesus?" It was pretty cute. She then fell right to sleep. I laid down next to her for a while to make sure she could breath ok. Then I came in frequently before I went to bed to see how she was doing and she seemed to be doing fine. I did wake up a couple times during the night to check on her as well. Lets just say I didn't sleep much that night.
In the morning she woke up as happy as can be, but her eyes were swollen and puffy. It was also her first day of school. I'm glad she was feeling better because I was worried she would have to miss her first day.
When I picked up Kaitlyn from school her teacher (Mrs. Monica) told me that during snack time, Kaitlyn was sitting next to her new friend Wesley (who just moved into big Caitlins apartment and happen to be in the same class as Kaitlyn) who was eating a pb&j and apparently Kaitlyn had gotten up and moved to the other end of the table. The teacher was confused on why she did that then I explained to her the peanut incident that had happen the previous day. Kaitlyn doesn't even like the smell of the peanut butter, which I am grateful for.
Kaitlyn is all better and I hope we don't have to experience something like this again.
5 comments:
What a nightmare! I'm so glad that her reaction wasn't any worse than it was. Good thing Kaitlyn is learning to watch out for herself.
Oh my, I would have freaked out! That is too funny that she got up and moved away from the little boy eating peanut butter!
How scary. Sometimes being a mom is so stressful.
I feel your pain!! Our Noah is the same. Those poor babies, eczema, peanut butter, asthma. (does Kaitlyn have asthma?) It is amazing how they learn to stay away form peanut butter, Noah can smell it from a mile away!! Make sure you let her teacher's know! I think the more they get introduced to it the worse the reaction becomes. Noah is allergic to Almonds and most nuts too :(
Ps Kaitlyn looks just like you! So adorable!!!
Scary! But the "special oil from Jesus" part is sure adorable.
Post a Comment