Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My Girls

We have been blessed with a healthy and beautiful little girl. I haven't posted her middle name yet and we decided to name her Sarah Evelyn. Even though we have had her in our life for only 4 days, she has been such a joy. She has just been wonderful. We couldn't have asked for a better baby. She is a great eater and wonderful sleeper. The nurses and pediatrician want me to at least feed her every 3-4 hours. It has actually been a challenge because she sleeps a lot longer then that. I need to make sure I set my alarm to wake her up. Even waking her up can be a challenge. I unswaddle her, change her diaper, sometimes use a wet diaper wipe and put it on her feet or wipe her cheeks and head to wake her up. It sometimes works. We'll see how long this stage lasts since it is just the beginning.

And Kaitlyn. Kaitlyn LOVES being a big sister. She is so excited about the baby. When she would come visit the baby in the hospital she would talk to Sarah and say things like, "hi darling", hi honey." It was kind of funny to hear. Kaitlyn loves to try to help out with almost everything that involves the baby: diaper changes, putting the pacifier in when not needed, giving the baby stuffed animals when it's not needed, helping me to get the baby dressed, etc... We're still trying to remind Kaitlyn of some rules on how we act around the baby and where she should/shouldn't touch her. I love that Kaitlyn is so into the baby and loves being a big sister, but it is also stressful at times. I feel bad at times because I feel like I am always telling Kaitlyn no, don't do that, stop that, you need to talk quietly, be careful, etc... I hope I don't have to say these things much longer because it really does stress me out. To make matters kind of worse is that I took Kaitlyn to the pediatrician today and she has a double ear infection. Her first ear infection(s). I took her temp. tonight and she has 100.7 fever. I'm just nervous she might get Sarah sick. So, I am being overly cautious when she is around the baby.

Just taking one day at a time...

2 comments:

Mike and Katie said...

Thank goodness she is sleeping good! Hopefully that doesnt change for you =)

Christine said...

Double ear infection?! Poor Kaitlyn. :(
It is hard with 2, especially if the older one is a little too "enthusiastic". But it is so nice that she loves being a big sister.
Darby was quite the lazybones when we brought her home too. Waking her up to eat was a multi-step process. Enjoy it while it lasts. :)