Monday, May 24, 2010

The Day Sarah Got Here

I don't have any exciting birth story or anything to tell, but I wanted that day documented.

I had a scheduled csection on Friday the 21st. We were supposed to be at the hospital at 6:00am. I think if it was any later it would have made for a long day. :) I woke up at 4:25 that morning having to use the restroom. Of course, I couldn't fall back to sleep. I was just too anxious. We arrive at the hospital a few minutes before 6. We walk through the Emergency entrance and the nurse sitting there tells us it was a busy night for babies and hopefully there was a room available. That made me feel a little nervous. We made it up to the maternity floor and they had a room already for us. What a relief! I put on the hospital clothes and they got my Ivs in. She got it in her first try. YAY! Then they hooked me up a baby monitor machine for about 20 minutes or so. After the 20 minutes they told us that they should be ready to take us in to begin the csection. The nurses come in and told us that they were ready for us then a few minutes later they told us some of the Drs were running behind. Then about 5-10 minutes later, they told us that they were again ready for us - sike! Then the third time was a charm. We were able to walk down to the operating room and get set for the procedure. While I went into the operating room to get set up, Ryan had to wait outside for a few minutes. I was kind of nervous having to go in by myself and for the spinal epidural. I just keep thinking of all the horror stories that I have heard of. Everything went fine with the epidural - the only thing that scared me was while they were stitching me up after getting the baby out, I felt like I couldn't breath. It felt like my throat was closing in on me. The anesthesiologist was sitting next to me and I told him what I was feeling and he said it was normal and that feeling should go away in a few seconds and he was right.

Ryan watched the whole procedure. He was wearing his glasses so when I would look over at him I could see a little reflection of what they were doing and I had to look away immediately.

Just a few minutes later they got our little Sarah out. The first thing said about her was how big her cheeks were. When they lifted her over the curtain the first thing I thought of was when I first saw her was that it was a little Kaitlyn.

I was very surprised to hear that Sarah weighed 8lbs 14 ozs. For some reason I thought she would range around 8lbs 3 oz like Kaitlyn did or even smaller. I was happy to have a chunky baby with some hair. :)

When I was finally settled in my hospital room I started to feel dizzy and nauseated. I think it was from all the meds that were given to me. I felt that way for most of the day. And, another thing that didn't help was the leg "massage." It was a velcro leg wrap that hugged around my thighs and calf's. They had put those on right before the csection. It squeezes part of your leg for a few seconds then rotate to the other side and squeeze again. Kind of like how a blood pressure machine works. The "message" was basically to help prevent any type of blood clots. I was going insane with this on my legs. It made me feel very claustrophobic. The first thing I asked my nurse in the morning was I allowed to take those off my legs and she didn't hesitate to take them off. She went off on how annoying she thought those were. I'm glad she understood because I don't think my night nurse really did. So, on Saturday I was feeling great! I was so ready to walk around and just get out of the hospital bed. I was able to get up a little and by Saturday night that's when I actually started to take pain medication, vicodin. Before that I was just on Ibuprofen.

My hospital stay was fantastic! No complaints. I loved all of my nurses. They were all helpful and the main thing is that they let me sleep! They didn't bother me at all during the night, maybe once to give my some medication, but other then that I was able to sleep. A couple of the nurses I had told me they would peak there head in the room and find that we were all sleeping so she would just leave us a lone. I appreciated that very much. We had the option of taking Sarah to the nursery or leaving her with us. We let her stay in our room because she was/is a great sleeper. We basically had to wake her up for feedings and still have to wake her up for feedings. We think Sarah is going to be a lot like how Kaitlyn was as a baby. (I hope) Kaitlyn was a great sleeper, eater, and just a happy, content baby. So far we have seen the same attributes. Lets hope it stays!

(I do feel a little drowsy from some meds, so I am sure I made some tying errors. :))

1 comment:

Christine said...

I'm so glad they let you sleep. May Sarah give you lots of sleep as well. :)