Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Pokes, Pricks, and Giggles?

Yesterday I took K to the pediatrician for a check-up. She got her hearing and eyes checked which are perfect. She also got measured and weighed. She currently weighs 35 pounds and is 39 inches tall. She falls in the 44 and 45 percentile. The Dr. then asked K and myself a series of questions about K and apparently she is ready to be in Kindergarten! The current plan is to start her in Kindergarten when we move next summer (2011). For now I'm going to let her enjoy going to our weekly playgroups, playschool and any fun extra activities. She loves art classes and soccer.

After the Dr. looked over K's immunization record, K needed 2 shots. K also needed to get her iron checked because of WIC requirements. As the Dr. was leaving the room she said, "the nurse will be right in to give the shots, I don't do that stuff..." When K heard the word 'shot' she darted under the chair. When the nurse walked in she started to laugh because of what she saw. K was brave and came and sat on my lap. The nurse first pricked K's thumb to collect blood to check her iron. K remembered doing a similar thing about a year ago, so she wasn't too scared and knew what to expect. She didn't cry. Next, was the 2 shots in the arm. Again, K was brave and didn't cry. She giggled instead. The nurse said, "I don't think I have ever had a kid giggle after I have given them shots."

The nurse left and came back with the iron results. Apparently K's iron is apparently 11.6 and it is supposed to be at 12. So, the nurse talked to the Dr. and the Dr. wanted K to go to the lab and get blood drawn. I guess for a more accurate result? This is the one thing I have been dreading for a long, long time. I have been dreading the fact that they would be taking blood from the vein and not just a little prick. Since the lab was located right down stairs, I decided to get it over with in the same day. When I saw the nurse who would be drawing blood from K, I was relieved. I knew her pretty well since she would be the nurse I would usually get when I got my monthly blood drawn. K sat on my lap and did exactly what the nurse asked her to do. The nurse then stuck the needle in the vein (got it on the first try! yay!) K jumped a little and didn't make any sound. She didn't cry and didn't laugh. After the nurse took out the needle, K let out a huge, loud, sigh. It was kind of funny. We all laughed. She was so brave. I think I was the one who got teary-eyed.

After we walked out of the office, K says to me, "I got to see my blood in a tube. It was cool. Was it cool, mommy?" Now, that took me by surprise. I was not expecting her say anything a long those lines. I thought she would be traumatized for days. Even months.

I was so proud of her. She was truly so brave. Since she did so well I took her get some frozen yogurt right by our apartment. so good. I wish I had taken a picture of her and all her band-aids. It was some sight to see.
And, first thing tomorrow morning she gets more pokes because she is getting tested for her peanut allergies. Poor thing.

7 comments:

Christine said...

You are very brave, K!!! Thats a lot for one little girl.

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

WOW! As a mom, I don't think I could handle seeing my baby be poked so much!! I bet you are glad that is over with! What a brave little girl! She'll probably be a dr. some day :)

Joanna said...

She's incredible! She handled that much better than I would have! It's great to read up on your life and see what's going on. Seems like I don't see you too much lately. Hopefully I'll be getting to playgroup more.

Jenna said...

What a brave girl! I got blood drawn when I was six and I still hyperventilate and/or cry and/or pass out at any mention of a needle coming near me (I usually make Dan come and hold my hand...he hates it). Oh, how I look forward to pregnancy.

Kirsten said...

Wow, I'm impressed! She's such a great girl. I'm always surprised by the things you put on your blog about her. She's pretty special.

The Standrings said...

yuck, i hate shots. it seems like kids handle those kind of things better than the parents. when carver gets shots, i feel like it's more traumatizing for me than it is for him. what a brave little girl!

spideybrian said...

What a stud!! That's awesome! I HATE needles, good for her to be so brave!