Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Valentines

I woke up on Saturday with a cough and cold so I wasn't up to doing a whole lot. I was even debating sticking to our original plan that evening, which was to attend the YW camp fundraiser dinner. I already made reservations so we decided to go anyway and the YW did a great job with it all. They served an Italian dinner, which consisted of lots of yummy bread, salad and lasagna. For dessert we had brownies and ice cream. They also provided babysitting, which was really nice. The decorations were great and we had great conversations with couples in the ward whom we don't know as well. Overall, it was an successful night.

On Sunday I was feeling okay, but didn't sound so good with my cough, so I decided to stay home from church, which I was bummed.


At the fundraiser, I was able to take a center piece home which was just a red and pink heart balloon tied down to a decorative balloon weight. I thought it was great because I was planning on going to the store that evening anyway to pick up some balloons for Kaitlyn. So, while Ryan was getting Kaitlyn from the nursery I went to the car and put the balloons in the trunk. When Ryan and Kaitlyn got home from church on Sunday I was in bed just waking up from a nap and I heard Kaitlyn walk through the door saying, "this is it? this is my present?" she was really disappointed. I think she was hoping for some candy or something. (she had enough of that from her school valentines party on Friday.) After Kaitlyn looked at her balloons she noticed the balloon weight which had red wrapping around it with a ribbon. She thought it was a little present and begged me to help her open it. I repeatedly told her that it was nothing, but she insisted. After I took of took off the wrapping, Kaitlyn was ecstatic! She said, "it looks like a plant! I am going to put it in my room!" (see picture above) She loved it! I went in her room and found it sitting on top of her dresser. I guess Christmas could be cheap this year - just get her some coal and she may be just as happy!

I was at Michael's this past week and came across a plaster hand print kit. I thought it would be something fun for Kaitlyn to do and to give to Ryan as a Valentine present. It was really, really easy to do and Kaitlyn did have a lot of fun painting it herself. I thought it turned out good for a 4 year old. Plus, Ryan loved it!

Besides getting sick, it turned out to be a great, relaxing valentines day!

2 comments:

Christine said...

Isn't it so funny what kids think is a great toy? I like the idea of the kids making Valentines for Daddy but it just wasn't gonna happen this year. :)

Drew and Alicia said...

That is sooo cute! You are a cute Mommy=) I hope you feel better