Sunday, June 28, 2009
Training for the half
It has always been a goal of mine to run a marathon. For the past couple of years I have thought about it, but never did anything about it. Finally, I set myself a goal and decided to sign up for the San Francisco half marathon on July 26th. I started to train and I was doing really well until I got really sick. I was out for 2 weeks! I basically had to start all over again, which was frustrating. I then again started to do really well with training until I bought new shoes. Ahh - I am so frustrated because everytime I run I am getting blisters! It is driving me insane. Any suggestions on how to deal with blisters or with running in general? 
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
That's so cool that you are doing that!!!
2 Marathons, no blisters. How? I dunno. I always run in padded synthetic blend dress socks. I also use runners lube on my feet. Blisters are about friction and preventing friction happens in two ways: runners glide and sweat wicking. Some Army manuals recommend training your feet to stay dry by using spray antiperspirant everyday for a couple weeks.
Whatever you do, don't use cotton socks. They suck for wicking away sweat and you are almost assured to get blisters. Try and find a good polyester blend that is mostly synthetic. Try it out!
Okay, I used to get blisters and numb toes when I would run, until I got professionally fitted for running shoes. I went to a store called The Running Center (not sure if there are any in your area, but any running store should be able to help you). They watched me run and fitted me for shoes. It isn't cheap, but if you are going to be running long distances, it's so important that you invest in good shoes. I've run 3 marathons and never had a problem with my feet or back. Make sure you get shoes that are bigger than your normal size b/c as you run your feet swell a bit. For me, my normal show size is 8, but my running shoes are always either a 9 or 9 1/2. Hope that helps, keep up the good work, you will love it!
I ran a half marathon and I had a stint in my training too cuz i pulled a muscle, but I ended up doing just fine. Also with the blister thing...the person up top seems to know, but also, I wore these special runners socks that I got at sport chalet or chicks or something...they really helped!
When I did my half marathons, I used those runner's socks that has been suggested already: they have two thin layers that slide on each other so your skin doesn't slide against your shoe. Also that runner's glide. Part of it though may be working up some callouses. . .just keep working at it and you will make it!!
Post a Comment