Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Okay, it wasn't that bad.

Tuesday finally came and I took K to get her blood drawn. The weekend before I have had been preparing K for what was going to happen. When we first walked in the doctors office K got scared, but got over it quickly. Then, the nurse came in and wanted to take K temperature under her arm. At first she was hesitant, but, eventually let the nurse do it. After the nurse was done, K said, "All done." and she wanted to leave. I told her we weren't done yet. Then, the nurse came back in because she forgot to her her height. After the nurse got her height, K said again, "All done." I told her again we weren't done. A few minutes later the DR. came in to talk to me and she told me that K was a little above average on height and her weight was good. She must get her height from her daddy! Anyway, the nurse came back in and K knew it was time to get her "owie" in her arm. So, K grabbed her blanket and wrapped it around her arm. The nurse then tells me it's only going to be a poke in the finger. You don't know how relieved I was! I told her that I was told by another nurse that they would draw blood from her arm and she told me that if I went to a Lab (where I go to get my blood drawn) then they would probably do it that way. But, in there office they prick the finger up to age 2. Then, when they turn 3 they draw blood. Well, she pricked K finger and K did not cry! She kind of jumped a little, but that was it! K was totally fine and was smiling and laughing out the door. The picture was taken literally 3 minutes after it was all done. They also have get a little beanie baby bear, which K loves!
I'm so happy that she was so brave. I know in a year WIC will probably want me to get her blood work again and i'm not going to look forward to doing it because she will be 3.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I'm glad it worked out better than you thought. Don't you love when that happens?

Little Farmer Family said...

You lucked out! Kaydree had her blood drawn at 13 months. I took Brayden at 2 weeks and her at the same time. My mother-in-law went with me to help. Let's just say she was a bigger wanny than the kids were. We all got free ice cream out of it!! We still look back and laugh!