Friday, August 15, 2008

Dreading The Moment.

Next Tuesday K has to get her blood checked for Iron and Lead. I have been dreading this moment for so long, I mean really long...I have been trying to put it off as long as possible... like a year and half... but we just got on the WIC program and they require these blood tests. Now the day is finally arriving... :( The worst part is, what I have been dreading over for SO LONG....I have been wrong about- I thought they would just prick her toe or finger or something.. you know, like they do for infants... BUT, it's much worse.
I had to get blood drawn today for myself and I asked the nurse how they do it for 2 year olds and she said the same way - prick with a needle and the whole bit. I thought to myself, "you got to be kidding me!" how are you supposed to keep a 2 year old still when they just got a needle stuck in them? I heard you can get some numbing cream through you doctor, so when the needle goes in they can't really feel it... but we don't have a doctor for her yet... We are still working on that.... And, I am going by myself, Ryan can't come with me. Tuesday is not going to be a good day. Has anyone had this experience?

4 comments:

Christine said...

I remember Brendan getting a prick and the nurse massaging his finger to getting some blood on a slide that way. I don't remember any needle. He was two years old at the time. Then again, we were in AZ when they did it, but I can't imagine it would be so different here.

Andrea said...

Yes, I've done it. Abby had her blood drawn at 9 months old and they tried about 4 times until they could find a vein. I felt really bad for her as I helped hold her down, but it's a part of life. Since Kaitlyn is older, I would explain what they are doing to prepare her. She'll probably have a worse experience if she finds out on the spot. Good luck finding a doctor. I'm in that spot again too.

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

Ewww... that sounds awful. I feel horrible for her! Hope it goes well!

amelia said...

Dang - I have no advice. You need to update how it goes. I hate getting shots and can't imagine watching my little girl get one! That would be rough on mom too!