Saturday, December 3, 2011

Black Friday

This year Ryan and I participated in Black Friday. It was the first time for both of us. Kaitlyn spent the night at her cousins' and Sarah spent the night at Grandma and Grandpa's.

Kaitlyn has been asking Santa for the play dog "Cookie". We wanted to see if we could find Santa the best deal. We saw it Costco for about $45. Then we saw that on Black Friday at Toys-R-Us it would be on sale for $29.99. Toys-R-Us was opening at 10pm so we got there around 9:30. The parking lot was overflowing with cars. The news camera's were there and the line wrapped around the whole building. It was i.n.s.a.ne. The worst part was that they were only letting 15-20 people in at a time. It was not worth standing in line for hours to get one toy and save roughly $15. So we left.

We were brave souls and went to Wal-Mart. They were open so we didn't have to wait outside in the cold, but the toy sale and other items didn't start until 10pm and the electronics at mid-night. Our goal was to get the $30 bike for Kaitlyn for her birthday. When I saw it I wasn't a fan of it. It wasn't cute and Ryan didn't want to put it assemble it. Other than that we didn't know what other kind of deals they were going to have, but we decided to look around anyway.

We first hit up the toy section. People were standing by the toys in the isles that were covered in plastic waiting until 10 o'clock to rip into it. The best part of black Friday was people watching. There are some crazy people out there. I saw this guy secretly recording this crazy lady on his phone. I wish I had that video. As I was walking around the store I saw a hug crowd surrounding a certain item. I thought it was something really cool, but then I came to find out they were just waffle makers for $2. While we were we saw "Cookie" the dog. Original price $56.00 (What! What a rip off). Sale price $39.99. Still a rip off. BUT then we remembered Wal-Mart will match other stores prices if you have the ad. Booyah! We grabbed a few other little things and went to check out. The guy who was checking us out had the Toys-R-us ad at the check out and gave Santa the $29.99 price deal. (This past week I saw a Wal-Mart commercial talking about matching prices with other stores and in the fine print I saw excluding black Friday. Oh well. :))

We were out of Wal-Mart at 10:30. Our next stop was to Game Stop in walking distance to Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart had new Kinect's for $150 and Game Stop had them for $70 (pre-owned). We got to Game Stop and there were about 7 people in line. They said they were going open the store at mid-night. Around 11:15 I asked Ryan to check on his phone
to see if we can just by it online. Come to find out we could, so we left. As we were walking back to the car we decided to go BACK to Wal-Mart. Yes, we were crazy! It was to get Kaitlyn a 10 dollar scooter. Ryan dropped me off and I called him once I was inside to let him know the lines were for.ev.er long. So he came inside and we decided to see what electronics were going on sale at mid-night. Might as well right? We ran into our good friends the Smith's. Kim had been there for 2 hours with both hands on the handles of the electronics's that she wanted. We actually ended up getting what she got. In one box came two portable DVD players for the car. It was a steal deal so we grabbed one and a few other items for Christmas gifts. The lines were still for.ev.er long and we of course picked the slowest line. We didn't get out of there until around 1:30am.

Overall, I actually enjoyed it. I loved people watching and seeing what other people were buying. I told Ryan I would do it again next year and he said he didn't want any part of it. We'll see about that when the time comes.

1 comment:

Christine said...

Yep, you're crazy. :) Online shopping and Cyber Monday all the way, baby!