Sunday, July 31, 2011

Boise State Summer Camp

For years the Boise State's Kinesology department puts on two 3 week sport sessions. They have a variety of sports you can sign up for depending on age: swimming, tennis, racquet sports, gymnastics, basketball, volleyball, bowling, rock climbing, lacrosse, soccer, ect...


I wasn't sure what Kaitlyn would enjoy so I let her choose 2 classes. She chose gymnastics and tennis. Kaitlyn LOVED gymnastics. She improved a lot in those 3 weeks. Her favorite was the balance beam and of course jumping into the foam pit. Everday they would start with a warm up. A part of their warm up was to do the bridge. They would have bridge contests. There were about 30 or so kids in the class and Kaitlyn happened to win the contest one day. Not only did she win, but she beat a girl who was about 8 years old and who had won 5 days in a row! She was so proud of herself.

When I explained to her that she only had a few days left of class, she cried and cried and cried. She was devastated. I hope to sign her up for gymnastic classes after Fall's soccer season is over.








Going to Tennis class everyday was a challenge. It got to the point where I had to bribe her to participate in the class. She didn't like it after the first day. I told her that day either she could switch to swimming or drop the class, but I had to know by the end of the day to get my refund. She decided to stick with tennis. So for the last 3 weeks I have heard her say (whine) every day, "I wish I had taken swimming."

Kaitlyn didn't like how tennis was inside. She wanted to play on the tennis court. She kept telling me that it wasn't tennis. Everyday the instructors would teach the kids ball control and self coordianation. She got bored of doing the samething every.Single.Day. It was in a small little room in the Kinesology building and it felt like a furness. It was so hot. Poor kids. One thing that was fun for her (and I) was that some kids from Primary were in that class so she got to know them and I became better aquainted with their mom, Kimberly. It was fun to have someone to chat with during those 50 minutes.





2 comments:

Christine said...

Wow! This looks like such a fun thing. I've been looking for a gymnastics class for Eva but we always run into time issues. Maybe when Brendan is at school. I never knew Boise had so much to offer.

Christine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.