Some of Kaitlyn's friends at our complex have been telling Kaitlyn that the Princesses at Disneyland are not real. That's like telling her Santa Claus doesn't exist.
She has been very emotional about it and keeps telling me, "they are real, right mommy? They are wrong..."
It's been a few days since the last incident and this morning it started all over again. It was Kaitlyn's fault since she brought the topic up to the girls. Apparently she said to both girls and one of the girls fathers outside, "You don't know if the princesses at Disneyland are real, you haven't been." Not the nicest thing to say, but she said it.
Then one of the girls said, "They are not real. They're just dressed up" Then the other girl agreed with her. And what made me OH SO MAD was that the father (he also thinks microwaves will zapp your brain and some other bizarre things) told Kaitlyn that they weren't real and all three of them (yes, including the physco dad) start chanting, "NO THEY'RE NOT! NO THEY'RE NOT!" over and over again and I hear Kaitlyn say, "YES THEY ARE!" and then silence from Kaitlyn. I could still hear the chanting. I knew any minute Kaitlyn would come in crying and sure enough she did. She was so sad and her feelings were so beyond hurt. I felt like crying right a long with her.
I just can't believe a father would gang up on a 5 year old. I don't understand why he didn't stop what was going on if he could see that Kaitlyn was getting upset over it. The whole situation that went down makes me so upset. The father and the 2 girls didn't even apologize to Kaitlyn for yelling in her face and making her cry.
That's what is so magical at this age - believing in the princesses, Santa Claus, the Easter bunny, tooth fairy, etc... I just don't understand why a father who has a 5 yr old himself would want to crush a little girls fantasy. I'm sure he wasn't thinking. Right?
Am I reading into this too much? I am probably making a bigger deal then it really is. I just wish he would have been more sensitive to Kaitlyn and her feelings.
Just breathe... Just breathe... Just breathe...
2 comments:
That is a big deal to a 5 year old. I can't imagine what I am going to do when Claire runs into this! What a mean dad too, who does that?
Oooooooo, I'd be so mad too. Let the little girl have that dream. Growing up comes too soon anyway. Let them be little and dream.
Post a Comment