Wednesday, June 23, 2010

One Month


Dear Sarah,

You have been in our life for one month now. How is that possible? It has gone by really fast. It seems like yesterday I was in the hospital.

We have learned a few things about you. It seems as if you don't mind having spit up all over you and having a dirty diaper. Once you have fresh clothes on and a clean diaper, it takes just a matter of seconds for you to make them both dirty.

Yesterday we took a trip to the pediatrician for Kaitlyn's check up and the nurse asked me if you were 2 or 3 months old. You're a little chub and I love it! During the day you like to eat 3-3 1/2 ounces about every 2 hours. Your last feeding is about 10:30/11:00 and you don't fall asleep until 11:30/12:00 (or later). I'm not sure why, but it seems you are more cranky at night. You let Mommy sleep until about 4 or 5 then sometimes you have a hard time going back to sleep which makes me very tired. You will fall sleep with me holding you. You love to lay on your tummy (maybe you'll like tummy time?) on my chest. But, the minute I lay you down you wake up. Sometimes you will lay there grunting and making lots of different noises, which makes it hard for me to go to sleep or you will start to cry. I'm grateful daddy is on summer break so he can take care of you on some mornings so I can go back to bed for a while.

Kaitlyn is still in love with you. She isn't tired of your crying yet. The second you start to cry she runs into the room to see if you are okay and to make sure you have your pacie. She loves to give you kisses and loves having you lay next to her. Two weeks ago Kaitlyn ran out the door for church then ran back in saying, "I forgot!" and found you swinging in the swing and gave you a kiss good-bye. Kaitlyn loves to stress me out or frustrate me by trying to wake you up, or take your pacie out when it isn't necessary. She did something very terrifying while I was in the other room. You were sleeping on the floor and I hear your sister yell with excitement, "I just jumped over the baby!!!" My heart stopped. The Dr. and nurses were right, don't leave you alone for one second.

So far you have loved bath time. You love the water. In the hospital daddy recorded you crying, getting all cleaned up and the second they put warm water on your head you went comatose.

You have been such a joy. We're looking forward to this next month to watch you grow and to start to interact with us with your smiles and hopefully get some giggles.

We love you.

4 comments:

Kirsten said...

Cute picture of Sarah! Sounds like you've got your hands full. I hope we get to meet her sometime soon! Ryan finagled Nathan into promising we'd make a roadtrip down to SF sometime while you're still there, so I guess that's the plan... sometime. Love you guys!

Unknown said...

You know, Macy hated being laid on her back...she wouldn't sleep. I think it has something to do with spitting up. She was and is a huge spiter upper, so I started laying her on her tummy and she is a wonderful sleeper that way. I didn't get much sleep because I was always afraid she would suffocate, but we have had no problems. I just don't have a bumper on her crib and i tuck her blanket under her armpits. Anyway, she is so cute and I can't wait to see how she grows. I wish I had a super chubby baby!

kara said...

Margo was the same...great during the day, and cranky at night, and loved to sleep on my chest on her belly. Also, grunted and gagged and made weird swallowing noises all night long. Doc said reflux, and to keep her at 45 degree angle all the time, so we propped up her bed and kept her in the carseat for the first 3-4 months of her life. Seemed to help. The super grumpiness went away, and she did better at night...though sometimes I'd find her sliding down her cradle...45 degrees is pretty steep! Good luck!

barbaraence said...

She's darling! Such a precious precious time--I'm missing the newborn stage already. They are so so so sweet :)