Thursday, May 13, 2010

Decisions... Decisions...

During Christmas time I thought it would be fun to go down to Costa Mesa to the ultrasound clinic and get an early ultrasound to find out the gender. The plan was to open it on Christmas with the family. I didn't last until Christmas day, but I lasted a week before when we had the big family Christmas party. The results said Boy. There were two ultrasound pictures. To me, one could have been a boy and the other picture looked like it could be a girl. It was difficult to get an accurate result because the legs were crossed at the time. When we told Kaitlyn she would most likely have a brother, she told us it was a girl. No matter how hard to tried to tell her that most likely she was going to have a brother, she didn't believe us, she was set on having a sister. It made us a little nervous because we didn't know how having a brother would all play out with her since she was so set on having a little sister. During this time we started to talk baby names. I was talking more boy names since we were most likely having a boy. But, Kaitlyn told us randomly, that she liked the name Sarah. We didn't get any boy names out of her that she liked.

After the Christmas break I had my 20 week ultrasound appointment where you find out if you're having a boy or a girl. We went to the hospital and the ultrasound technician gave us the official results and told us we were having a girl. Right when she told us it was a girl, Kaitlyn said, "I told you!" Until this very day she reminds me that we were wrong and she was right.

So, it brings me this point. Kaitlyn has known it was a girl since the beginning and told us we should name her Sarah. This has made picking a name for the baby even harder. The other night Ryan and I made a list of some names that we liked, Sarah was on it. I think there is nothing wrong with the name Sarah. I think it's a classic, pretty name. But, there is another name that I really like, but it has been hard to get set on that name because we both know that Kaitlyn absolutely loves the name Sarah. It's been hard to get her to like any other name. Ryan and I were talking and we couldn't believe we were letting a 4 year old have this much influence over us. Ah! What to do?

Hopefully when we see the baby, we will know what we should name her.

Decisions... Decisions...

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I think Sarah is a PERFECT name, and Kaitlyn has excellent taste! :)
Not that I'm biased or anything . . .

Joie said...

It always makes you wonder if Kaitlyn is just being a silly 4-year-old or if she really knows that baby better than you think... :)

The Skousens said...

Well, if you really like another name best, then you can always try using Sarah as a middle name. When it comes down to it, whether her baby sister is Sarah or not, she will love her (just remind her that she should be happy that it's a sister and not a brother, lol)! We hated my sister's name (Jonni, like the boy) when she was born and tried to get our parents to name her otherwise...it took us a while to get used to it, but then it became second nature to call her by her name and we forgot that we didn't like her name.

True, when you see your little girl in your arms, you will know what name fits best! In the end, you are the parents, so you make the final call!

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

Yay! It worked! I am so glad to be back in touch with your blog! I love reading your entries!! I think Sarah is a fabulous name, but if you choose another one, maybe K can just call her Sarah anyway. It will be her own little nickname for her new baby sister :)

spideybrian said...

Naming is the hardest part about having kids to me...Brian is always fine with whatever names we both like, and then I have a billion doubts...can they be made fun of for this name? how to spell it? Will they hate me for naming them this? Do they look like a different name?

Good Luck!! :) I'm sure that seeing your little chick will make it all clear!