Monday, April 26, 2010

My sweet Grandma, I'm going to miss you

My Grandma and I were very close. It was so nice growing up living so close to my grandparents. I have so many wonderful memories with them both. But, here is just one or two. When I was a little girl it seemed as if I was spending the night over at my grandparents house about once a month or so. We would go out to dinner to the same Chinese restaurant where I would always order shrimp. When we got home we would usually watch the movie E.T, color, play go-fish, and brush each others hair. In the mornings I would come in their bed and snuggle in between my grandma and grandpa. I open the drapes which covered a large window, which had an amazing view of the mountains. We would just lay there and talk for a while. Then, my grandpa would sit in the den (so they called it) and read the morning paper while my grandma and I made breakfast. It would usually consisted of scrambled eggs and toast. She is the one who taught me how to crack eggs and how to make scrambled them. Other times my grandpa would leave early in the morning to play golf and my grandma and I would walk to a horse trail which eventually led to a shopping center where we would eat breakfast at Bakers Square.

My Grandma loved her family. Family always came first. She never missed a birthday party or sending a birthday card. One of my favorite memories is dying Easter eggs with my brother and cousins at her house. It was a tradition that I will never forget.

On April 11th my grandma had a sudden stroke which left her paralyzed on one side of her body and unable to speak. Each day she got progressively worse. On Saturday, April 24th, Pearl Gates went to the Pearly Gates to be with her sweetheart.

Side Story:

On the morning of Saturday the 24th I was headed to the Presidio for a Bridal Shower and to go out to Breakfast to Mama's with the girls. In the car I was listening to the Carrie Underwood CD. As I got to the Presidio, I was listening on the song, "Temporary Home." Before the song was finished I saw a friend walking up the hill so I turned off the music and asked if she would like a ride to the top of the hill to the apartment were we were meeting at. Well, while we were in line at Mama's, I get a phone call from my mom telling me the news about Grandmas passing. I was sad and got teary-eyed, but I am so grateful I was with all the girls at the time because they definitely made me feel better. Well, when I got back in my car to head home I had totally forgotten about the song that I had turned off. So, when I turned back on the CD this is the first thing I heard,

"Old Man, hospital bed, the room filled with people he loves. And he whispers don't cry for me, I'll see you all someday. He looks up and says, "I can see Gods face." This is my temporary home, it's not where I belong. Windows and rooms, that i'm passin' through. This was just a stop, on my way to where I am going. I am not afraid because I know... this was my temporary home."

For some reason, this brought comfort to me. I couldn't help but think of the sweet reunion she was having with her sweetheart. She has missed him so much.

I love you, Grandma. Words can't express how much I am going to miss you. I'm so glad I was able to talk to you on the phone (just by chance) a week or so before your stroke. I'm glad our lasts words to each other were "I love you." I'll never forget you and all of the memories we made.

5 comments:

The Skousens said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandma. What sweet memories you have of you and her! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

Kristin said...

My condolences to you and your family Kristina! That is so hard! She sounds like a great woman.

Christine said...

Those are some very sweet memories. I am glad you can find comfort. My thoughts are with you.

The Standrings said...

kristina- such a hard thing. we're praying for you.

Joie said...

That makes me teary-eyed too. I'm so glad you have good memories of your grandma. It makes me want to make sure I am making good memories with those I love.