I need help. I got Kaitlyn into a playschool. The preschools here are way too expensive and you basically have to put your child on the waiting list while you're pregnant in order to get into a preschool. So... anyway... I have been trying to get Kaitlyn excited to go to play school, but she won't have it. She can be really shy and the past couple of months really clingy. She has a hard time with us leaving her with a babysitter and sorts. Since the play school is through the community I don't think they will have a "meet the teacher." I wish they would. I see other blogs and there little ones excited to go to preschool. It makes me feel sad that Kaitlyn isn't excited about it.
Anyone have any suggestions for me on how I can get her excited and to go without any troubles leaving her?
5 comments:
Can you stay with her the first day or so? It might make the transition easier. I had a hard time with play school at her age, too; my mom would just leave and I basically cried for the first week, but got over it after that. Stay strong!
Buy her a special backpack that she gets to take with her. Make a big deal about how grown up she is ... and tell her what to expect at playschool and what they will do. I notice when I tell my kids something over and over (you like primary!, you have such a nice teacher)... and I do mean over and over... they catch on and think that way too.
My kids are excited to start our preschool groups here (of course, it's not a commerical one... us mommies take turns teaching), and Allen is already really excited about Kindergarten next year.
My mom did the same thing with me when I started kindergarten. I was super clingy, and she just got brave and left me there. It was the only thing that worked. I had to tough it out for a teary filled week but then I loved school and didn't have the anxiety of being away from her.
It's tough but you can totally do it!
I have no clue, but you can always call my mom. She was your teacher for preschool and after 22 years of teaching I am sure she could help. I can't believe your little angel is that old already. Where does time go. Good luck
Those above gave great advice!! Most times kids act very clingy and sad when parents are around but settle down when the parents leave. One thing to NOT do, don't sneak out. Say very confidently, "Bye Kaitlyn! You'll have so much fun! I love you!" and walk out when she can see you. She'll read your mood and look to you for cues as to how to deal with the new situation. It makes the kids feel deceived and abandoned when parents sneak out when they aren't looking.
Post a Comment