Monday, February 11, 2008

Just some thoughts....

As most as you know we are moving to San Francisco this summer. To be honest I am really nervous, but excited all at the same time. We are probably going to look for a place to live during my spring break, which is the last week of March. Anyway, we have looked online and tried to find place to live, but in the back of mind, I am thinking, which cities are safe and friendly to raise a family in for the next couple of years. Once I think about it, Ryan is going to be gone all the time so its basically going to be me and Kaitlyn home by ourselves. I don't do well moving into new areas, I get really paranoid. When Ryan and I moved to Boise, we lived with his parents and I felt really safe because they had a alarm system and Ryan worked right down stairs (literally) so, I was always home with others. We moved into our own apartment last August and I have loved it! But, the first couple months I was so paranoid! I couldn't sleep at night. We have neighbors who live above us and sometimes they have little kids over running around so I wasn't used to all the different noises so it would freak me out. This sounds weird, but at night I am so parnoid that someone will break into Kaitlyns window and steal her our of her crib. After I would go to bed, and couldn't fall asleep I would get up about 3 different times and check on her. I have gotten a little better about it, but this week I have only gone in once to check on her. Anyway, this wasn't what I was going to write about. I am just rambling... Today, on the news I saw ANOTHER shooting at a high school. This past week I have heard of 4 shootings.. 1. the city council meeting. 2. a mall shooting. 3. a high school shooting. 4. the pyscho husband who walked into the elementary school and shot his wife in front of her 5th grade class. A couple days After I heard about the mall shooting, I was at the mall buying some new jeans for Ryan. And, as I was walking through the mall I was thinking to myself and looking around at different areas where I could hid if a shooting was to happen. I just think its so sad that tragic events like this happen and innocent people die. and that I had to think that to myself. All of these events just makes me think of Kaitlyns safety. Will she be safe when she goes to school? or if I take her to the park to play? its really sad that I will have to think, "Will Kaitlyn be safe at school today?" I don't want to have to think that. I'm just rambling and sharing my scrabbled thoughts about the world today. I hope when we move I won't be paranoid and that I can enjoy living somewhere new and exciting....

4 comments:

Erica said...

I was a little scared when we moved to LA. I would strongly recommend contacting the ward that you're going to live in to see if you can live near some other ward members. We live in UCLA married housing and almost our entire ward lives within two blocks of us and it has made the adjustment much easier.

Kristin said...

I feel ya. Jason and I have been looking at places to live in different areas when he moves in the fall. I found that Wall Street Journal has a tool where you enter the zip code (in the Northern VA/DC/Maryland area) and it tells you the crime rate in that area. I bet you could find something similar. And I would definitely start contacting wards. Find out where the other LDS student families live! That is our plan! If you could live by them, I bet it won't be too bad!

amelia said...

HOW EXCITING! You will love San Fransisco, I'm sure. I think it helps in a new area if you mak a list of the cool things to do and make a plan to go out and experience the area once a week or something - you will learn to love where you live!

Andrea said...

You'll be fine. I wasn't so sure about Chicago, especially since we live on the south side, but it's been really fun. I'm more smart about safety and was paranoid at first but now I don't even worry about it. I go out doing the day, unless the weather is horrible... maybe carry a whistle if that helps you feel better and stay inside after dark.